"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Monday, May 16, 2011

It Started with a Burp & a Fart on a Monday

Technology....great but with burps in the system. Last Friday, there were tech issues and I was unable to post, let alone write. The weather being beautiful, I chose to take my boys to the park early and just go with the flow of the day. It was a burp and fart Friday. Today is a burp and fart Monday. Yeah, colorful, right? Perhaps my boys will be entertained that their mom uses the words that will make them laugh when they're a little older and certain words make them cut up and make you wonder who's children are these? Life with boys....
Speaking of life with boys, its a life I'm learning to be in the middle of. Nope, no previous experience. My family consists mainly of women, very few born men. I believe I was predestined to be the mother of men. If so, could I have had at least a little bit of warning? Nope. No warning, no instruction manuals, no way, no how. There's something in this for me, that I'm sure of. What it is at this stage in my life's journey, I don't know yet. It has yet to be revealed. Now, to maintain patience....or should I refocus?
I'm currently reading Dr. James Dobson's book, "Bringing Up Boys: Practical advice and encouragement for those shaping the next generation of men." No, its not an instruction manual. Its not the absolute answer as to how to raise boys. It is a peephole through the door into the world of boys. Why boys are packed full of energy that doesn't seem to disappear and carries from the playground to the classroom. Why boys are most likely to be diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. Why its so important for the presence of both parents to help shape the future for boys. I could go on but I'm still reading, still sifting and gleaning what I need to be aware of as a mother of men. What my role is in their lives and what I can do to help them prepare for life as adults. I was raised by a single mother. I had some "potholes" in school. I've been a part of the public school system. I've worked with boys with neurological disorders and behavioral issues. Because of these elements of my own life, I approach the life I now live with a different point of view than if those brush strokes had never colored my canvas. So, until my research culminates at a later date, I will only provide tid bits of what I read. My opinion I hold. My psychological point of view may come into play somewhere down the road-by the way, yes I'm a psych major, too. Most of all, I'm the mother of men.

~Momma

"Train a boy in the way he should go; even when he is old, he will not swerve from it."
-Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment