"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Momma on a Mission, Part Two

My mission continues. Yesterday, I posted in regards to what kind of parent do I think I am, what kind of parent am I learning to become. My focus was on my boys, which is my first priority. Past that, my priorities change position due to level of importance. Yesterday, late afternoon into early evening, I had an epiphany regarding my role as a business woman. I rough sketched ideas, researched possibilities, and searched for who out there is doing the same thing I am. My results were a surprise to me; this helps, as it shows me the direction I need to move in. Currently, I am in test mode here at home for my ambitions. A rough draft of a checklist reminds me of how to get started and what the next step in the process is for me.
This morning, I saw a posting for freelance writing work. I checked it out, and felt a tinge of disappointment on my part. The requirements were so stringent, I didn't feel like I could compete for the work. I checked out, grabbed a bite of breakfast-which I never eat as early as I did today-and then it hit me. The description of the job was for things I do here at home, subjects I like to talk about and write about. Why did I have to feel like I was not up to snuff to write about food, wine, sustainable living, and gardening on a level where someone else would be paying me for my thoughts, experience, and opinion through living, experiencing, and relating? Then my epiphany for today happened. If I want to write for someone else, get paid for it, and get my voice out there, I need to live my subjects to be able to write about them. Of course, to become more proficient in the social media corral would be a plus, as it was one of the job requirements for this morning's freelance posting.
So, for Task Master Tuesday, setting up the home office, brainstorming and testing, and writing to put my voice out there; these are the things I do for myself. My ColorNote app is updated, my mini lists are set up. Library books to renew, and today's homeschool day is about reading, so we're a little more laid back for our Tuesday in the Green Mountain state. Lilacs perfume the air, bird song echos from the back yard, my windchimes sing as they are caressed by the wind, and I pick up the torch to run the race for today.
~Momma

"The Muse's friend, tea does our fancy aid,
Repress those vapours which the head invade,
And keep that palace of the soul serene."
-Edmund Waller

No comments:

Post a Comment