"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Off My Posting and On My Mind

It's been a week since my last post; life has a way of challenging you to keep running the race. Today, I'm posting about things off the record of what I usually post, depending on the day of the week; I have a theme for Monday-Friday covering the many hats I wear as a multi-tasking momma.
Lots happening here on the little homestead in progress. New roof being put on the house; my ship mate replaced the garage roof last year, so this year he's tackling the house. And he's on a week's vacation. I'm so accustomed to him being at work most of the day, it feels weird when he's here all day. Sometimes, I feel as if I should not keep up my regular pace of life, slow down and spend it with him but when he's busy with a project-such as the roof-and the kids need me, the housework needs to be done, etc...it leaves little time. The kids are higher than kites because they are also accustomed to Daddy not being here during the day, so bedtimes have been crazy, naps almost non-existent, and I'm ready for a day at the beach. Too bad I'm not feeling the safety the park association is stating for the lake now that its water levels have receded from flood stage. Good thing for good neighbors who drop off huge blow up pools.
My youngest is teething, my preschooler feeling his way through learning, my dog just being that-a dog. I'm trying to get caught back up, put my house back together, and make of a list of things to enjoy, as opposed to the never-ending list of things to get done. I can't remember where or when I saw that posted but it made since. Ever since our basement got flooded, we moved everything out into the garage, tore out all the walls in the basement to replace at a later date, my life has become more of a list of things to complete than any enjoyment. I sat wondering what it all meant, and then while watching the movie, "Eat, Pray, Love" for the third time in a month, I had an epiphany. I love having those; them arrive at the most opportune times. So, I sat and typed in my ColorNote on my Android as to what and how eat, pray, love could do for me. Yeah, another list, right? Yet, it was a list of what to enjoy, not so much what I needed to do to improve my quality of life.
One of those list bullets is to find 10 riveting books encompassing spirituality from the woman's perspective and read. I started that right away. "Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories that Heal" by Rachel Naomi Remen, MD. Perfect way to get started. I've heard good reviews about this piece, and feeling drawn to it, decided that it would be the first I would read. My list isn't quite to the full ten picks yet but I feel that will come with time.
So, if you could chose ten books that whisper to your soul to read in the coming months, what would you choose? Ponder that thought, sketch it out on paper or whatever medium you prefer, and hunt them down. Read, take a few minutes out of your day. Enjoy, not just complete.

~Momma

"...I am an author and not a writer. Writers are people who are probably born to write. An author, on the other hand, seems to be born to do something else and then writes a book about it." -Rachel Naomi Remen, MD Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories that Heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment