"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Grilled Pizza Thoughts in the AM

Monday has graced us again, and its beautiful outside! Forecast-and we all know how reliable those predictions are at times. Don't fool with Mother Nature. Its a half hour before 8 AM, I'm sitting to write this post and then get hopping into my day. Plans, plans, plans. Best part? Fun, fun, fun with my boys. Moms, always leave room for sudden changes; this will help keep you sane and not drive you into madness from your perfect routine having a pothole in it. Not a mom or your kids have grown and gone? You can benefit from this way of living, too. Remember, we all need to make time to stop and smell the roses.
Mondays are my days to make my weekly lists and plan ahead for what I need to get done; or at least for what I'm ambitious to get done. Looking at the calendar this morning, I have three more weeks before my boys are baptised, of which we are having a small get together for family afterward. Three weeks of deep cleaning, organizing, rearranging, massive landscaping and gardening, meal plan, who's coming, etc....seems like so much to take on but worth it all. My landscaping and gardening really aren't that big of a part of it, I just want to get it done before that day. Plus, plants and seeds need to go in to ensure sufficient crop at harvest time. My front yard looks empty, so I want to fill it with color. And by the way, I made my list last night while my kids were winding down to get ready for bed; I had a feeling it should be done before the week started and be ready to hit the floor running.
For the last couple of years, I've subscribed to Yoga Journal magazine. Love it. Only downfall is finding time to sit to read from cover to cover. Ok, no problem. So, I've kept every issue feeling I just might find the time to read them. I'm still ambitious about it; its when I'll find myself a couple of years from now, with a stack of magazines I've still not read from a few years back that I'll officially call myself a pack rat. Yes, I practice yoga. I've been lax in my practice over the last few months, as the demands of motherhood have taken its toll. Yet, with the amount of reading I've been doing, yoga helps with the fatigue and lack of enthusiasm. Ok, I really could benefit from it, then. Could two kids in this house sleep so I can make more of my practice? Pssst! Hey, Mom! The secret to getting those ambitious boys to rest fully at night? Run them ragged all day; let them play til they drop. No, I'm not a drill sergeant. I just happen to have boys. And I'm still learning how to be their mom.
Are you looking for that pizza recipe for the grill? Yeah, I was, too. I found the following recipe in Yoga Journal. Today, I will give you the recipe. Tomorrow, with Task Master Tuesday, I'll give you the grill tips to ensure you don't burn your meal. Until then, have a fabulous day and enjoy every moment you have! ~Momma


New York-Style Pizza Dough

*Keep your hands well dusted with flour so that they won't stick to the dough. If the dough springs back as you press and stretch it out, stop and let it rest for a few mins before continuing (I like to let my dough raise a bit @ room temp to work with-10 mins should do).
Makes 3 12-in pizza crusts

1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1 c lukewarm water (90-100 degrees F)
1 1/4 c ice-cold water
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
5 1/4 to 5 1/2 c unbleached flour, plus more for dusting (all purpose, whole wheat, whatever you choose)

In a small bowl, using a fork, sture the yeast into the lukewarm water. Set aside until the yeast dissolves, about 5 mins.
In another small bowl, combine the cold water, sugar, salt, and olive oil. Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt.
Place 5 1/4 c of the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and stir in the yeast mixture along with the cold water mixture. Using a wooden spoon, mix the dough, incorporating as much of the flour as possible. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured work surface and knead until soft and elastic, 10-12 mins. It will still be a little sticky but shouldn't stick to your hands. Add only a minimum amount of flour to the work surface to keep the dough from sticking.
Cut the dough into 3 equal portions. With floured hands, pick up 1 portion of dough and pull the opposite edges together, wrapping them underneath toward the center to form a tight, smooth ball. Pinch to seal. Repeat with the other 2 portions. Place each portion in a 1 gallon lock-top plastic bag. Squeeze out all the air and seal the bag, allowing enough room for the dough to double in size.
Refrigerate for at least 10 mins or up to 2 days. Remove from the refrigerator 1 hr before using to allow the dough to come to room temp.

No comments:

Post a Comment