"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Friday, September 9, 2011

Book Review and on the Run

Here's to Friday! Sometimes, I wonder why I get excited about today, as I don't work a 9-5, don't worry about what to wear to work on Fridays, and don't wonder what my weekends will become. Old habit, I guess.
I finally finished "A Woman's Book of Meditation," which I have some pages to copy off before taking back to the library. Good piece, I have to add. As I started my reading, I wasn't sure if I would stay committed to finishing the book; in the past, I've started a book about meditation without finishing and feeling like I wasted my time. Not so this time. Perhaps because this was focused on women? Perhaps. When a specific focus group is the mainstay of a piece like this one, maybe it takes a different tone as opposed to a general audience.
I also wasn't sure about the approach to meditating. I'm not one to sit still for very long, and if I do, its because I'm into a book I can't put down, working on some type of fiber art, or getting ready to nod off. Empty my mind of all the crazy, busy buzz of the world? You have to be kidding, right? Nope. No joke. There are several different mantras to work through, depending on what you're working with to get into your meditative state. Need only 5 mins? There is time. Want to sit for 2 1/2 hrs? Go for it-if you have the room to do so.
I also came across two very interesting points throughout my reading. Meditation doesn't belong to any one particular group of people. It belongs to us all, universally. It doesn't interfere with religious preferences either. And if you think about that one, didn't Buddha, Muhammad, and Jesus Christ meditate? Meditation can be used as a way of opening yourself to listening for the answers to your prayers/petitions. If we just take the time to still our bodies, calm our minds, and allow even a minute's worth of time to have a sense of peace. I'm not here to upset the apple cart, only to add my point of view to a sense of awareness to one's connection to all that is. We are all connected.
The second interesting point I found was a small diddy about neurotheology (the study of how yoga, religion, and meditation affect the functioning of the brain). I investigated further, by way of the 'net, which after sifting through the rubble, I found my way back to transpersonal psychology; I looked into this field years ago, while finishing my undergrad. After the passing of my grandmother earlier this year, some interesting transpiring elements to color my palette, I find myself looking at this field again. And the best part is, I can do this online. I will be praying and meditating about this one, as I have about some other things in my life, too. And as a tidbit, with my EAT-PRAY-LOVE quest, I am looking into making a mala; after discovering it contains 108 beads, this will be a meditation in itself.
So, ladies, don't be afraid to meditate. I still find my meditation through needlework, but giving it a try to find that still, calm moment. I'm onto my next spiritually inspiring book, which is about the shadow self and how it affects our daily lives. More to report on this later, as I'll be giving a review of it as well. PS-there's visual art & journal exercises in this one. More meditation? Perhaps. ~Momma

1 comment: