"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Task Master Tuesday with the Summer Solstice

Sunshine peeking through the curtains again this morning-fabulous! My boys are sleeping in today, by the looks of it. That's fine for the time I can get. Make the most of it, Momma. Today is my task master day, and it is also the Summer Solstice. As of 1:15 PM (roughly), it will officially become summer and we can leave spring behind. What awaits us for the next couple of months? Rain and wet? Heat and dry weather? A mix of both? I can't seem to place where my 2011 Old Farmer's Almanac went, so I can't vouch for what I've read when I first picked it months ago. Guess I'll just garden as I go and let Mother Nature take care of the rest.
Two hours of weeding out front flower beds yesterday, and now they're ready to transplant into, seed, and water to watch seedlings burst forth. Sounds a bit late, doesn't it? Its been fickle weather here in New England, so whatever we've had so far has been eye catching. There's still time, as we are on the threshold of summer today. No worries; the growing season will be what it will be. Today, I will be clearing out my spaces for tomatoes to corn; lots to clear out but with the good weather we're to have til the end of the week, gives me plenty of time to tackle my farming. The joys of edible "urban" landscaping. Gotta love it.
My list is ready and waiting for me to tackle today. And of course, I have part two of our grilled pizza recipe from yesterday to add to this post. Oh yeah, and the grilling tips to ensure a good pizza without being burned to a crisp. Here goes.

New York-Style Pizza Sauce

*Make your own simple tomato sauce for pizza; this one takes less than 10 mins to come together.
Makes about 2 1/2 c.

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes in juice
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp minced garlic (garlic lovers, feel free to add more!)
3/4 tsp kosher salt

In a medium bowl, combine the diced tomatoes (including the juice from the can), the tomato paste, olive oil, basil, oregano, sugar, garlic, and salt. Taste and add more salt, if desired. Use immediately or store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Bring to room temp before using.

**For gluten-free pizza dough recipe, go to yogajournal.com/pizza

Tips for great grilled pizza

1. Heat the grill to low or medium-not high. Brush the grill with oil.
2. Dust the dough lightly with semolina flour and then roll or stretch it to fit your grill. Lay the dough on the grill for 15 seconds; then flip it over and do the same on the other side, until it resembles a sturdy pita.
3. Remove the dough from the grill and transfer it to any metal pan, such as a cookie sheet, that fits on the grill and has been brushed with oil and dusted with semolina.
4. While the dough is off the grill, add your sauce, cheese, and toppings.
5. Return the pizza-pan and all-to an area of the grill away from direct heat. If you have three gas burners, turn on the right and left burners and leave the middle one off; then place the dough in the center (I have 4 burners but the same rule applies). If you are using charcoal, build the coals in the shape of a doughnut, with just a few coals in the middle, and place the dough in the center.
6. Close the lid. Peek at the dough every minute or so, checking to make sure that it isn't burning.
7. When the cheese is melted, slide the pizza off, being careful not to burn yourself on the hot pan.

If you're wondering about toppings, follow your taste buds. You can put whatever you typically put on a pizza, so no worries about what goes or doesn't. Its all based on your taste. Enjoy!

There it is for today. My day unfolds, and my mind wanders to a time when I can look out any window of my home and see the fruits of my labor. Until then, its time to dig in the dirt, smell the richness of the soil, plant, and hope. Have a fabulous day and Happy Solstice! ~Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment