"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day Three on Gardening

Wednesday is here again, and with the sunshine already peeking through the curtains, I'm ready to take on the day. Laundry to start, and then outside to garden like a mad woman for the day. My boys will have the joy of the pool, which is parked right next to the bed I'm currently working on. According to the forecast, we are to anticipate 4 days of rain and clouds, starting late tonight until sometime Sunday. If that helps all the efforts I've put in since early Monday morning, good. Garden like crazy, let Mother Nature take care of the rest. Today is my day to write about homeschool ventures and womanly thoughts but with the gardening buzz I'm on, my sustainable living hat seems to be glued to my head. So, my days are a little out of order but hey, when you have good weather, a ton of gardening to get done before the end of the month, you go with it. Why stress?
Speaking of gardening ventures, nurseries, markets, and whatever stores are carrying seeds and plants are practically throwing things out. This is my time to buy. When I can get plants for half price or less, seeds for 75% off the retail price, I'm a happy camper. Bulbs are now on sale, so whatever catches my eye is going in the cart. I picked up seed potatoes for a drop in the bucket price, and they are blue potatoes at that. I usually work my own seed potatoes with the reds and whites but now to have blue in my garden landscape is so cool. Hope they do well, as I'm putting them in to be "new" potatoes next spring. I'm not much of an annual plant or seed buyer but have learned they make nice color pop when waiting for my more permanent plants to come forth and after some bulbs have shown their glory. A nice in-between addition. Petunias, fushia, and begonias are hanging from the back porch, adding color pop to the back yard. So, color is just popping all over this little 1/4 acre piece of land. I believe in making the most of the space you have, and I know I'm doing just that.
Went through my seed box yesterday, and have seeds set aside for next year already. Going through all of my seeds, both saved from last year and whatever we've picked up along the way, I sorted so that I know what needs to go in now and what can go in late August. There are some that can seed all season, so I put those in a spot as well. This is part of my organizing insanity I've ventured on because of the flooding in the basement we experienced this past spring. Mother Nature at work to scream at you to treat her right-no problem.
So, here's to another day of gardening. Digging in the dirt, pulling weeds and extra wild violets I don't need in that particular spot but knowing somehow they will appear again. That's fine. Yarrow, iris, and day lilies are staying in the garden bed I'm working today, and I'm ok with that. Sometimes, you need to leave what you find to let there be harmony in the garden.
~Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment