"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Another Wild Wednesday in the Green Mountain State

You know you live in New England when the weather forecast is the same for three days straight but Mother Nature follows her own rules. "If ya don't like the weatha, wait five minutes; it'll change." Today was designated for rain all day. Well, I can tell ya, when 6 am rolled around today and the sun was streaming through the bedroom curtains (no, to me they are not window treatments), I sensed that Wednesday and Thursday swapped forecasts. Watching the local news and catching the "new" forecast for the week, big changes. Well, all I can say is this. When I wake up in the morning, look out the window and see what I see for weather, that's how I plan my day-unless I have appointments and errands to run. Otherwise, making huge plans to stand by just don't jive with me. And when you have young children, you always make room for head spinning changes.
Yesterday, I took my boys downtown to the ECHO center. Check out my HOP category; there's a link to their site. Great place, down on the waterfront. We have a family membership, so all I have to do when I walk in the door is have our card scanned, and in we go to explore. We took the bus to get there, so parking was not an issue for me; just waiting for the right bus to go back home was interesting. We checked out the current exhibit, which focuses on nature that glows. Fireflies, sea life, etc...pretty cool. Then off to the lake room. Different fish that live in the lake (that would be Lake Champlain), the history of the sitings of Champ, our lake monster; and some of the boats/ships that have sunk in the depths of the lake. Upstairs to see the frogs. Frogs from around the world. A water table to show waterways, cultural displays, and a grand bee line to the upper deck to watch the boats and feel the breeze coming off the lake. Nice. A snack in the park, which is a stone's throw from the center, my boys had to watch the boats while walking on the boardwalk before it was time to walk up the hill to wait for the right bus home. What seemed like what could be an easy venture to get home turned into a bit longer on the waiting and changing buses. Ok, so the next time we go downtown, we'll be making it a day. Time @ the ECHO, lunch and play in the park, watch the boats while on the boardwalk, and then go home. Priceless.
Today, I feel a bit more settled about what we're going to do. I have gardening to keep going with, the boys will have their pool, and we can make the most of what we have. One more week, and my gardening will become maintenance and harvesting-finally. What's good about the work done this year is that next year it will be so much more easy to put stuff in and what it grow. Its only taken me three years to pull this together but all good things come in the time they were meant to arrive.
Tomorrow is potentially my sustainable living topic. I want to talk about.....
~Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment