"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Organizing Epiphany

Yeah, already at it this morning; imagine the possibilities. Tuesdays are my task master days, so I had thought last night that I wanted to make the most of today with some organizing. My thoughts were originally set on the garage, now that I can get back into it and get it set up for more accessibility for my mate and I. Then, it happened over a cup of coffee. I grabbed my special edition Better Homes and Gardens "Secrets of Getting Organized" and decided to do the flip. So, I flipped through the pages from front to back, back to front, and then front to back until I stopped to open the page wide to see what I was going to discover. Its alot like gambling, I suppose. Draw straws, anyone?
This week is about organizing the kitchen; I know I can plow through sections of the garage while the kids and I are out gardening. My kitchen. Not the biggest room in the house but not the smallest either. Its kind of L shaped but a little more than just your typical L. Where could I start? What was the most inexpensive, simple, quick task to start with? I looked at the junk drawer suggestion. I hate those. We've tried a junk drawer and it just gets worse once it gets started. Oh wait, I'm supposed to keep it maintained. Damn. I was hoping it would fix itself. Afterall, its junk, right? Looked at the roadside daisy (aka, plastic shopping bags) storage piece. Even after making and purchasing cloth reusable shopping bags, the occasional plastic bag makes it into our house-good to use for the bathroom trash can. I've already knitted a bag storage piece; hangs by the door, stuffed full of bags. We have a trash bin & one for recycling. Uh-oh; are we running out of ideas? No way.
Then it hits me. The microwave cabinet. Yeap. A microwave we don't use-gone today. A mini office on the middle shelf-easy clean up. The two upper shelves house cookbooks-another easy clean up. Time to weed through cookbooks to find out what's not getting used. Still like that book? Do you love it? Give it a second chance. Use it, placing a post it with the date on the recipe page(s) used. In one year, check how many times did you use that book. More than 10 times, a keeper. Less than that, maybe its time it had a new home.
So, I have my tasks for organizing and adding a sparkle to my hearth this week. Perhaps mop the floor with a touch of essential oils in the water to add a fresh, clean, eco-friendly scent to the most used room in the house-the bathroom runs a good second. So, here's to task master Tuesday. Much to do, kids are rocking and rolling already this morning. I need roller skates. No, wait. Roller blades in today's playground.

~Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment