"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Business Momma

As I go through each of my "hats," I realize I'm one person with many pokers in the same fire. I believe most mothers know this, if not all of us. We multi-task on a minute to minute basis. There seems to be little time in the day to have a moment for myself but what I can and will say to all moms, "Please make at least five minutes of your day just for yourself." An angel of a nun once told me that in order to be of service to others, you must remember to take care of yourself. Its true. How can you run on empty if you don't first fill your tank?
My business hat hangs on its peg for the current time. I had aspirations to put it on in the days to come yet we've been detoured by a flooded basement with all the rain we received for the month of April. Vermont's wettest April on record. And it ended up flooding rivers and streams, which that water took a wild ride to Lake Champlain, resulting in record breaking flooding there. End result, lake side homes flooded-understatement when watching the local news-and those neighborhoods and towns spreading out from the lake have experienced ground water coming to roost in basements. Are we having fun yet? Everything we had in the basement in our home is in boxes, piled in the garage & on the back porch; I've been sorting through to organize once I've decided on the save/discard voting. Nothing of high level importance lost, save the notes from all my pre-college herbal classes. Hey, I saved the certificates-that's good.
By this time, you're wondering as my reader, "When is she getting back to the business end of things?" Well, I can give you this much at the moment. My beginnings were based on becoming a mother. With the arrival of my first child, I became attuned to what I wanted for him and wanted the best. Breastfeeding, cloth diapers, all natural body care products, safe toys & baby gear, etc...it was the body care products that stuck in my mind and propelled me into business. Where I can point you for direction for more details is to click on my link, The Vermont Gypsy Wagon, to discover more. Final note? With the arrival of my second child and a temporary hold on all ventures, I found time to think about what I wanted to do with my business. Did I want to pick up where I left off or was it time to let go? I didn't want to shut down, so I started thinking about what I could do with my creative venture. And it hit me. Maybe I needed to narrow my focus group. Perhaps I should pare down on products available. What made me get started, anyway? Full circle and I was looking at my initial brainstorming once again. It all started by becoming a mom, and venturing into the bigger arena of mother of more than one, I had my epiphany. I've been an expectant mom, experiencing the receiving of new life through my body into this world, discovery of the dependence of such a little person on me at all times, and acknowledging that feeling of wonder at being able to love someone so much that you'd do anything. Having done it a second time now, and discovering that I could still love and give equally to my first, I now know that I can make available some of those very desires other mothers have for their children. Rough drafting, prototyping and testing, stay tuned. Its a work in progress, and I intend to make good on my word to my children, other moms, and to myself.
~Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment