"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Momma on a Mission

A title to this post escapes me but of no matter; perhaps it will come along while I'm emptying my thoughts onto the screen. What is important to me is the content of what I'm writing about this morning, or at least what I have in mind to write about this morning.
What kind of mom am I? I ask myself this more than once, and the answer to that question becomes more and more clear as I grow into my skin as a mother. As I watch my boys grow from newborns to infants to toddlers to preschoolers, I become more acquainted with the woman I am becoming. And it still amazes me how I could love two people as much as I do, unfailing, unconditional, unstoppable.
I want the best for my children, without compromise of the priceless moments to remember, the importance of teaching that not everything we do has a price tag on it, and that what I give them by way of example is something of value when they are adults and going out into the world. I believe most mothers can attest to this feeling. Above and beyond to give. What we forget to keep in mind, is that we are human, and not everything is going to go off as planned.
Each day is a lesson for a mother, and as I can only truly speak for myself, I'm learning all the time with my two boys. As a parent, it is a responsibility to teach life skills, to foster the love of learning, to be patient with yourself and your children as they learn. First thoughts are teach, teach, teach. Lasting thoughts are learn, learn, learn. I teach my boys what they need to learn, and in turn, they teach me what I didn't know was possible.
I'm a stay-at-home mom (domestic executive officer), one who is teaching sustainable living as I myself am learning to be more in touch with it, and I believe in homeschooling. Parents are a child's first teachers, so how can any parent feel like it is the public school system's job to educate our children? If you don't start at home, what happens when a child goes to school? I'm not opposed to public education but for a system badly in need of repair, I can't imagine sending my boys off to be educated by a system that is currently failing so many. I grew up in the public school system, and it is not now what it once was. I worked in the system for a time, and I am disappointed in what I've seen. Teachers are underpaid, non-teaching staff are unheard when it comes to issues they've seen develop, and administration acts as though they have no time to address concerns from staff or parents. Students are catergorized by age, social status, and popularity, with little time between classes, under pressure to perform both academically and socially, and discipline is virtually non-existent. This is not an environment I want to put my boys in.
I've ranted. Perhaps only really scratching the surface of a current issue but its my voice expressing my concern as a mother. And as I've stated before, I want what's best for my children. They eat home cooked meals, nothing processed or loaded with chemicals & additives. They don't wear the most expensive clothes on the market or all the top labels but they are clothed and warm. I make the soap I bathe them with, knowing what went into making the product. I educate them through play, fun, reading books, baking, creative endeavors, gardening, mini field trips, and most importantly: love.
I'm helping to shape men who will influence tomorrow. I'm a mom on a mission.

~Momma

"Train a boy in the way he should go; even when he is old, he will not swerve from it."
-Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment