"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Slow Cooker Monday

Rain again today. Ok, good for the gardens, so long as it doesn't create mold, fungus, or rust. I'm on a mission to get my gardens all in by the second week of July. After that, I just want to maintain, harvest, and enjoy.
Being a busy SAHM (stay-at-home mom), I've put into practice meal planning and a sort of cooking schedule. Mondays & Fridays are slow cooker days; most of us know this piece of equipment as a crock pot. Whatever name you want to give it, I recommend it highly, regardless of what hat you wear. The convience of throwing food into a pot, selecting a cook time and temp, and after turning it on, you can walk away. Wow, that's almost like having a chef you don't need to pay; it pays for itself. So, what am I cooking today? Take a look.

Chicken-Mini Penne Stew

2 1/2 c. chopped cooked chicken
2 medium carrots, bias-sliced 1/4 thick
2 Tbsp Dry Sherry
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp grated gingerroot
1/4 tsp pepper
6 c. chicken broth
2 oz mini penne
1 6 oz package frozen pea pods, thawed

Combine all ingredients, except the pasta and peas. Cover & cook on low-heat setting for 6-7 hrs.
Stir in penne. Cover & cook on low-heat for 1 hr more. Before serving, stir in thawed pea pods. Makes 6 servings. (modified from a recipe found in Better Homes & Gardens New Crockery Cooker Cookbook)

*I like to use about half of the required cups of chicken broth; I find that the usual protocol makes it more like a soup instead of a thicker stew consistency. Today, I'm substituting chickpeas for the pea pods; I cook my beans, peas, legumes, etc ahead of time from dried; I then bag and freeze for convience.

My list for the week is in process; I've much to do just this week, let alone for a month to come. Today is my Mommy Monday; time with my boys to get started for the week. Places to go, things to do, people to leave in amazement of being able to handle two little ones under 5 & not totally losing my mind or closet drinking. To all the mothers in the world, these are the days to remember; children don't stay little forever.

~Momma

"For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control."
-2 Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment