"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sustainable Thoughts

What does it mean to me to be sustainable? I ask myself this question at an hr when coffee is my best friend. Yes, I'm a coffee drinker. Love the smell, love the taste. Have tried the route of teas which do a great job of putting zing in your step; love those, too. But that initial smell wandering through the house before the sun comes up....mmmmmm.....
I talk about sustainability on Thursdays, or at least I try to stay committed to this topic on this day of the week. Sometimes, the life and times of a SAHM pop up and demand audience, so I write about those moments, too. But what it means to be sustainable, some days it feels like a far reach until I realize I'm doing what I can at this moment. Everyone seems to have the "s" word on their lips these days, along with the terms "eco" and "green." Now, my personal opinion is that too many people may be treating the movement of getting back to simplicity as a trend that will fade and resurface much like other trends (fashion comes to mind). To me, this is not a trend. Its a way of life. Daily living, putting sustainable facets on your unpolished stone; consider the gem you just might have under the surface.
My topics on sustainability has been focused upon edible landscaping and urban/suburban gardening/farming. I'm in the middle of it right now, along with establishing colonial cottage style gardens here at our home. I almost don't want to talk about it, even though I talk quite frequently about it all. I'd rather be elbow deep in the soil, letting my soul connect to the earth. My other thoughts on sustainable practices? The immediate thought comes to mind-recycled textile products.
I'm working toward my goal of not falling asleep with the kids when they go to bed so that I can stay up and work my ideas into manifestation. Once I'm there, I can start making my market bags again. I made two prototypes to work with, taking them with me whenever I need to shop. Is my reader looking for pictures? Yeah, me too. As I start talking more in-depth about recycled textile creations, photos will be included in my posts. For today, I just want to talk. Anyway, back to my thread. Shopping today is quite an adventure. Food prices are going up, the potential for e. Coli is greater than it was 20 years ago, and stores are starting to charge customers for every roadside daisy, aka plastic bag, that is used to pack up the purchase. Customers start bringing their own bags. Companies start marketing reusable bags. This hippie is making her own bags, as well as picking up the occasional bag while in the checkout line. My ultimate goal is to be able to walk in the door, armed with my bags, as well as produce bags so I don't have to pull from the roll attached to the wall or produce tables, and feel good when the cashier credits towards the bill the number of bags I brought in with me. Yes, you can get between 3 & 5 cents per bag towards your purchase for every bag you bring in. You help reduce the number of roadside daisies, you get a little change carved off your bill, and you leave feeling good.
I may not drive a hybrid vehicle, my kids' car seats don't have mp3 holders that resemble ashtrays hanging off the side, and I don't buy everything that screams organic on the plastic package the item comes in but I'm proud to say I do what I can to make a difference. I buy local, we eat seasonally. I very rarely buy anything full price, and I'm not a follower of the masses to buy the newest and hottest stuff on the market. I keep it simple. I can only hope my choices are good influence on my boys to realize you don't need what everyone else has. You only need what truly sustains you. Everything else is just stuff. There's a saying, "The one who dies with the most toys wins." I disagree. All you have is debt and stuff. And you can't take it with you.

~Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment