"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Coming Into My Own

Looking to be another rainy day today; we'll take what we can get and make the best of it. I only wish the rains here on the East Coast would fall on Texas, as it is burning. Sad.
This outline of a day seems to work well for me; at least I know what is going on every hour. I don't want my day to be scheduled every second, so I treat it like a running grocery list; hit every aisle and realize you forgot the cat food when you get home to unpack the bags. Hey, it happens. Not every day is going to be perfect, so live and let live.
I'm getting back into my knitting these days, and enjoying the spare moments and nap times of being able to add a few rows here and there with whatever project I grab for the time. I have a few projects running, so I have a variety to choose from. Once we go to the library this weekend, I'll be working on other stuff, too. Yeah, busy girl...busy momma.
I've compiled a list of books to check out based on my creative outlets surrounding fiber, beads, etc...what a list. Not all books are instructional, I did find some fiction as well. Yeah, fiction with the arts as a backdrop to the main line of the story. Cool. Oh, my list? Check it out-just highlights.

-Sewing
-Knitting & Crocheting
-Needlework (whatever doesn't cover sewing, knitting, & crocheting)
-Jewelry making
-Crafting (whatever doesn't cover the above bullets)

I have a pretty good list of books, many to choose from. To avoid overload, I've decided to work on each list, a little at a time. Example, I'll take an instructional book from sewing, along with the one fiction piece to accompany it. Each outlet has fiction as well as instructional, so I'll be entertained while learning and/or enhancing my craft. Being a descendant from a long line of artisans, I feel a sense of pride for handiwork. I love running my hands over hand tooled craftsmanship, sensing the time and love going into that piece. I love handcarved furniture but that's not an area of specialty for me; shop class in high school didn't go well for me.
As I let my mind empty with my thoughts here on my post, I realize my part in being sustainable is right in front of me. My craft is what sustains me, among other elements of my life. Those things that don't cost a cent, that's what sustains me. And I finally feel I'm coming into my own with my craft. Harnessing the talent of my craft to sustain us here on the urban homestead. Imagine it. ~Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment