"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Book Review on a Thursday

Finally, some sunshine. Maybe short lived today, though. We'll see. The weather seems to be only about 50% perdictable. Mother Nature has a mind of her own, we shouldn't forget that.
I finally finished my first leisure book since starting my spiritual inspiration reading. The French Gardener by Santa Montefiore, an excellent read. English gardens are the backdrop to a story that weaves the lives of the past with the present, laced with infidelity, romance, family, and life realities. Two families, with a parent who's gone most of the time for work purposes. The family of the past, the children are center piece; the family of the present, the children are taken care of by nannies while mom and pop strive for their own individual goals. The yarn that pulls these two families together? The gardener. A French man born with a silver spoon in his mouth, he comes to the first family to learn the craft of gardening. Seasons change, he and the wife commence with an adulterous affair. He leaves before the year is over, upon discovery by his parents of what is happening during his stay at the English estate. Almost 30 years pass before he returns to the estate; he's returned for his love. Instead, he finds a family in need of love. Children starved for the attention of their parents as opposed to the endless stream of gifts to keep them happy. A scrapbook of his first stay at the estate establishes the ebb and flow of the chapters between the past and the present. In the end, although he has lost his love (she died two years prior to his return to the English estate), he has gained the love child he never knew about. The family of the present? After months of establishing themselves in the estate, an affair discovered and time apart, they come together to let go of the past, forgive and start over. The parents discover there is no greater love than that of your children, that when you begin a family, your endeavors and personal goals step aside for the priceless moments presented through your children's presence. They are not novelties, they are the most important part of your life as their parent.
As I read the last page, it made me think of how important my children are to me. I love my boys very much. I would do anything for them, whatever it takes to make sure they have what they really need in life. Love, security, and the knowledge that my attention is far more important than any gadget or "new" toy out there on the market. I love the fact my guys love to be outside, love to run and play, love to read. Yes, they like their toys, and do play with them. But what seems to have a higher importance to them is when I sit with them to read a book, or just snuggle together and I talk to them about different things in life. I'm glad I'm older and a parent; this is my time to be "Mommy." Yes, I still have goals, dreams, and ambitions. Yet, those are second to what is my top priority: Tristan and Zachary.
Today, I go ahead with the openness of just going with the flow. If the weather holds out, we'll be at the park. If not, we'll stick close to home. Maybe we'll just go with the ebb and flow of the tides of the day and see what happens. The schedule is there, but its ok to be flexible. I started early here today, so I finish early here today. Best wishes for a great Thursday! ~Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment