"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hooked on the New Book

Yes, I'm a book junkie. I admit it. I had a shoe fetish once, too but since those days, shoes are the last thing on my mind. So, I turn to my other vice. The written word. Books, books, books. If I see a pile of books that have a sign over them screaming "FREE!", I can't walk past. Doesn't happen. I stop. Actually, I make a traffic halting beeline for the books. I have to feed my need. The equivilent to a crackhouse is the library. So is the bookstore but with the library, feeding my addiction is free. A visit to the bookstore takes a little more careful planning. How much do I want to spend, can I find a deal or two, and will I get a discount if I show my card?
The book I refer to today is the same one I started talking about on Tuesday's post; please check out Task Master Tuesdays for reference. I mentioned the six excuses we face when attempting to deal-or not deal-with clutter. Today, I give you The Power of Ten Minutes Method. Found in chapter two, "You're the All-Purpose Maid," this list is great for daily use. I put it into practice yesterday, first by composing what applied here in my own home. Then, I set out to test it. Due to the fact I've not done cleaning like this method approaches to cleaning, plus having two little ones demanding my time, it took me all day to try it out. Despite the duration of the initial trial run, I think I like it. I started it this morning as my second day-could be a trial run, could be more permanent. I have fifteen items on my list, and when opportunity presents itself, I set the timer on the stove for ten minutes and tackle three chores at a time. Breakfast, giving the boys 10-20 min chunks of time to play with each other and by themselves gives me some time. Naps work, too. Lunch, another chunk of free play, dinner. Ten minutes really isn't that much time but given my little list, it gives me a moment to switch gears from my teacher role. The added bonus of my "Power of Ten" list is that by the end of the week, when I tackle my new weekly cleaning list, most of the areas I will clean will already be base line cleaned, so the weekly cleaning will be so much easier. Who'da thunk it?
Yes, I know I talk about gardening, sustainable living practices, etc on Thursdays but I just couldn't resist to share with my readers what I'm learning here at home. Although, if you think about it, because I use natural cleaning materials, it does apply to sustainable living practices. Oh, curious about that "Power of Ten" list and what's on it? I'll give you mine as an example.

The Power of Ten Minutes Method (chapter two, pgs 32 & 33)

1. Wipe fridge & put away dishes (dishes done from the night before)
2. Clean bathroom mirrors
3. Dust bedroom (under the beds for dust bunnies)
4. Wipe down switch plates (these buggers get gross quick)
5. Clean off top of fridge
6. Clean cabinet tracks (cloth wrapped around a screwdriver or a plastic spackle knife works well)
7. Wipe down kitchen counter tops & small appliances
8. Vacuum
9. Go through one cabinet/drawer @ a time
10. Clean one shelf in linen closet
11. Dust (I loathe this one)
12. Clean furniture (vacuum, wipe down, etc)
13. Sweep & mop
14. Wipe down toaster oven (we don't have a microwave anymore)
15. Water plants

Probably looks like a lot but really isn't when you break it down. Now, of course, anyone whose children are older & in school or grown and moved away, you might plow through this list without blinking an eye. Forget doing 10 minutes and checking off the list. Just get it done and forget it. For me, all day has moments for me to be a part of; my house will wait for me to go back to the list periodically. My children will not wait to grow, learn, become. Enjoy each and every moment that you can, for life is fleeting and waits for no one. Love, laughter, and blessings. Have a great Thursday! ~Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment