"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tuesday Morning & Housework Almost Done

Here I sit, 20 mins before 8 AM graces our presence. My daily chores almost done; just dusting-my enemy-and mopping to finish off my list. I can't complain about how doing the Ten Min Method minimizes how my once a week chores are done-hhmmm, can you say so much faster now that I have those down, too? It took two weekends to get my Weekly Speed-Cleaning Chores into practice and not feel overwhelmed by the process; funny how something feels foreign at first glance, and then when you get your hands into the pudding, it starts to make sense. My current book of choice, The Family Manager Takes Charge, which I've listed on my reading list and have talked about in past postings, is where I continue to find the tidbits to get me motivated to give our home a facelift. The weekly chores are cut into groups, focusing on specific rooms with specific tasks. Here's a sample of my list.

Kitchen
-Wipe down large appliances
-Wipe down windowsills
-Disinfect trash/recycling cans, replace liners
Living areas
-Clean windows
-Recycle papers
-Plump up cushions
Bedrooms
-Laundry
-Sweep & mop floors
-Strip & remake beds
Bathroom
-Change out towels
-Clean tub/shower
-Empty trash

A sample, like I said, as my list is actually longer than that. I don't exactly consider myself a domestic goddess, as I've always treated housework as, well just that: work. Yes, there are things to do each day, things that can wait to be done once a week, and even things that can be tackled a few times during the course of the year. Housework was always projected to me as drudgery, something to despise and leave for someone else to do. What I've learned is that being domestic is NOT being domesticated. You are not chained to the stove, forced to work in less than desirable conditions, and if you are, start rethinking why you're in that position. I didn't grow up desiring to be a housewife; I sort of fell into it. For me, organizing, decorating, gardening, and sustainable living practices gives me a different view of what it means to do housework. Now, I see it as artistic domestic skills EVERYONE should have some knowledge of. If you are part of a family unit, helping out shouldn't be view as waterboarding. No one is forcing you to pitch in, but the extra set of hands now and then do help. Afterall, family time spent having fun is better than grumbling over a chore or two. Who wants to spend family time cleaning? I've heard of families who clean together and have a good time but I gotta say, we're not there YET.
The sun is streaming through our front window, and the storm clouds loom in the back. With the forecast of a storm coming in today, its best to take advantage of the day and go with the flow. After all, my housework is done; I can spend the rest of the day with my boys and then when its time, make dinner and relax into the evening. Of course, its Task Master Tuesday, which means there's a list of other things to do as well but those things are not high priority; more like, if there's a moment of opportunity, I'll get to them. My guys won't be little forever, and every moment I've got with them now is priceless. So, to the homemakers of the world, enjoy the day, try to see chores as something more positive (easier said than done), and know that each day will not be like the day before or the days to come. ~Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment