"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Friday, August 5, 2011

The First Friday in August

Here we are, the first Friday in August; sun is shining, sky is blue. Weather forecast seems promising. We are having breakfast in bed, with tri-berry (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry) muffins. My infant becoming a toddler has pounded down three by this time, a dozen more are baking, and waiting for my preschooler to wake up and join us. He's gone to bed a bit late most of the nights this past week, but with sleeping all night, I'm taking it for what it is. Its been a year of trial and error when it comes to raising two little ones who are three years apart in age, but one I would not take back. I wouldn't change anything, as this is how I've learned to wrap life around them, learning from them what they need from me and how best to deliver that.
Through a site titled, Find & Go Seek, I'm finding events and such to do with my boys; this encompasses Vermont and makes a great way to avoid, "There's nothing to do!" August is about going places, kind of like getting those last vacations before school in and enjoyed. I'm also working on building up our traveling, that way my boys can go anywhere. Of course, there are the pitfalls of wanting to go home to sleep in your own bed, falling asleep on the trip (which of course, will happen) and waking up in places they don't know, meltdowns from sitting for too long in the car while traveling. Those can be worked with, over time. Today's activity is breakfast in bed. We pile pillows and a light blanket or two onto an inflatable mattress, put a fun show or kids movie on, and chill out for a bit in the morning. I have other ideas for the day as well; I'll share those on Monday to let my readers know how it went-or didn't.
Yesterday, I was questing for a quinoa recipe to add to the dinner I made last night; yes, I'm including the recipes this morning. I didn't find what I was looking for, so I made one up. Here's last night's dinner.

Chicken Rosemary

-1/4 c olive oil
-2 chicken thighs
-juice of half a lemon
-2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
-salt and pepper to taste

Rinse chicken in cool water, pat dry with paper towels. Separate skin enough to insert one sprig between skin & meat. Squeeze lemon over thighs, follow with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Pour oil over thighs. Let set while preparing summer squash recipe.
Take everything out to the grill. Make sure grill is on low heat (I've served Cajun black a time or two, so flame levels are important), and place chicken on grill. Check periodically and turn to ensure properly cooked meat. When meat is no longer pink, your chicken is done.

Grilled Summer Squash

-1 medium yellow squash
-1 medium zucchini
-Olive oil
-Salt and pepper to taste

Wash squash and slice off stem & end. Slice 1/4 in thick, placing in an aluminum foil pouch (these are fun and easy to make). Pour olive oil over slices, followed by salt and pepper. Leave pouch open to allow heat to get in to "steam" while on the grill.
Place on top rack on grill to avoid burning bottom layer of squash. When squash is done, it should have a bit of a crisp edge to it; if its mush or burned, its been on too long.

Basic Quinoa Turned Pilaf

Cook quinoa according to package or basic recipe directions; please remember to rinse before cooking. Chop one medium carrot, half of a small onion, two small stalks of celery (preferably closer towards the middle and add leaves as well) and add towards the end of the cooking time for the basic recipe. Salt and pepper, if you desire, or add a teaspoon of sesame oil and black sesame seeds.

This was a good dinner. Now, you can increase your recipe measurements, according to the size of your family. For us, two adults and two kids under five, we don't need a spread for 10 people (although, I grew up with this style of cooking to ensure everyone gets enough to eat and then you can have leftovers for a day or two if there's enough). Give it a try and enjoy the taste of summer while we have it; it will be Fall before too long and the menu will change again.
It's that time again to say "So long for now." The day awaits, my boys are coming alive with excitement, and I know I've got to be on my toes to keep up with them. Caffeine iv, please! Enjoy the day, have a great weekend, and make the most of every moment you can. ~Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment