"From High Heels to Training Wheels"

I'm a woman on the threshold of 40, a stay-at-home mother, a small business owner, an artist, and practitioner of sustainable living. I believe a woman can be fabulous at any time during the course of her life journey, and wear various hats at any given moment. I invite my readers to stop in, catch up on the latest of what transpires weekly. Various topics to cover, as each day is an adventure!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Rainy Day Monday

Unlike the Carpenters verse of being let down by rainy days and Mondays, I'm enjoying the rain. Its very much needed at this time. Its been dry for a few weeks, so its a welcome peace today. Plans for today? Rainy day activities with the boys, a movie with popcorn while lounging on the air mattress, menu planning, daily housework, and a spotlight in the garage while they rest. Sounds like quite a bit, but its the average day here on the urban homestead.
Our rainy day activities range from art, playing cow bowling and free play. Music with "hop like a frog" fun. Snacks, tea, a light lunch....relaxing. Its warm enough we can be outside on the back porch for some of this fun time, too.
New menu this week, and just like last week, I'm not ready as of this morning. Grab some cookbooks, flip through and tab pages, sit later or tomorrow to plug into Word and print off. It is so much easier to see that menu with the little shopping list hanging on the fridge; no more guess work for meals. I was watching Extreme Couponing on TLC yesterday afternoon, and it still blows me away how these people can do this. Its a full time job just to do the research, find the deals, and get all the coupons they take to the store! Yet, I have to say, we are moving in that direction. I still don't believe we'll ever be as extreme but it helps everywhere possible when you can pick things up that usually cost more on a regular basis. Like this week, two stores we shop at have some good deals. One place, for example, has a 24 pack of toilet paper on sale for $4.99 and a 50 oz. bottle of laundry detergent for $1.99. We all know that laundry soap can be so much more expensive than that, so is it worth stocking up on when its at that kind of price? Yes, ma'am. We already have four bottles of laundry detergent-name brands that are low on the ingredient index-stocked up and we are still using the soap we've had for six months; we used to buy the great big containers to make it through but with these deals, we're actually saving more money. And every mom knows there is never enough tp in the house, so this other deal is appealing. My other store is offering double coupons, so there's a trip there, too. We don't have a huge list to work off of, so we won't be spending tons of money. With stocking up on certain things, the extra money goes where its needed: other items, bills, savings, etc...it just takes a little time getting settled in with; nothing worth it happens overnight.
I started working in the garage yesterday while my boys were resting. I had a pile of bags and boxes to sort through, stuff I always say "It can wait." Well, it waited no longer as of yesterday. I now have one bag and one box of books, magazines, and misc. that can be sorted into separate places and used. I found a gardening magazine from when we moved into our home the first summer and I had only flipped through it at the checkout line! I can still use that magazine for the gardens I'm putting in here. Once I'm done, I can recycle it and move on. Who knows, maybe I'll have a Kindle or Nook Color one day that I can put magazines on and not have the pile of recycles to haul out of here. One never knows what tomorrow brings.
There it is. My thoughts for this morning that have been piling up all weekend long. I've also been thinking, as I'll be busy with the garage organizing this week, I'm going to consolidate my writing for the week; I'll post again on Wednesday and then again on Friday and tell you all about my adventures for those days and the days in between. I also believe it will make my posts longer, more interesting than just the daily report of what's happening. A little change up is always good. Will I stick with this method? I don't know, haven't seen how it maps out yet. We'll see how it works out this week. Anything's possible. ~Momma

The Courage to Create August 14

"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader.
No surprise for the writer, no surprise for the reader."

-Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment